Trying out

    May 8, 2019

    Thought i would try putting my adventures on here for a bit , A) to see if i could work it out , and B) not much interest on the forums anymore,and don’t want to bore people ! , so welcome to me on here 🙂

    latest stuff to happen , is , i went to bicester scramble in April , got worse mpg than last time ,around 5 to 6 mpg , although i will admit i was going a lot faster with my outrider simeon on his dirt bike as company .nice to hear from him that the car looked very planted around the corners .

    had some nice conversations with a lot of people at the scramble ,as usual had no idea of where to park, so just went where i was told and ended up in the brooklands museum area next to a Fraser Nash . A new phenomenon was people asking me to start the car , little did they realise that probably used a quid of fuel each time !(allowing for the most marginal of exaggeration)

    later on i got too cold ,so moved the car to the sunnier areas , it was surreal cruising through the crowds faced with a wall of phones and cameras …..modern life eh.

    in other news , i have had to use the car for my weekly shopping in witney the last couple of weeks due to the astra dying 80 miles away , and having to be relayed home , (by auto aid who did a brilliant job)…turns out its ecu fried a transistor , so that’s getting fixed when the part for me to solder in arrive .

    in the waitrose car park..

    in lidl’s car park …

    had some nice convo’s with people at both places …it was nice to use the car for a purpose , not just driving it around .

    something i tackled the other day , a little bit anyway , was the seam in the bonnet . i always wanted it to be smooth , and there was an idea of welding it and smoothing it , however i was concerned about the bonnet being distorted by the heat , so i had a bit of a bash at it with a hammer ,i think it looks a little better , ,,

    how it looked before ..

    how it looks now ..

    not perfecto , but a incny wincy improvement 🙂

    Work continues on the economy of the car , i will,now i have my new clutch working ok , and the hub not slipping ,focus on the thorny problem of trying to get the same amount of fuel in each cylinder , i have pretty much concluded that the longer the copper pipe , the more fuel goes to that cylinder , so have fitted little taps to each cylinder on engine no2 , and will try to improve things by measuring the exhaust gas temperatures , and adjusting my taps ….time will tell.


    exhaust temperatures …

    you can see on the rhs graph i did manage to get no5 ,the black line to respond just by richening the car , however that then sends the other cylinders super rich .

    thanks for reading .


  • a redesign

    yesterday I got the holes drilled in the heavy 1/2 inch bell housing plate … and spent a long time getting the flywheel to sit where it should in relation to the spigot bearing…

    August 16, 2014
  • flange to hub interface sorted

    finally got the flange to hub interface sorted , bought some cheap 14 to 22 mm drills off ebay for 18.88 …amazingly they worked a treat .maximum drillage!! starting the assembly and measuring for…

    August 14, 2014
  • now, how to bolt it together

    well that took a ludicrous amount of time , but its done now. next thing is to drill holes and tap threads to bolt it together . that really was some hard steel ,and…

    July 7, 2014
  • progress

    so here’s Michael gas cutting out my bit of 40mm was not easy . now to turn this into something sexy and shiny.. faced it off… then spent a while with a thin…

    March 27, 2014
  • the stub axle/cv joint wheel flange assembly

    finished machining the bearing fit on the hub carrier…it went well! then had to solve the problem of the link to the crank for the gearbox drive shaft .so I took the steel crank…

    March 24, 2014
  • progress


    February 12, 2014